Whether you call him Badshah of Bollywood or King Khan, Shah Rukh Khan has been an iconic figure in the industry for the past 3 decades. He established his place without any cinematic background whatsoever, and eventually rose to the top, earning awards from across the globe. Shah Rukh claimed the #1 superstar title of Bollywood which formerly belonged to Amitabh Bachchan. King Khan remains one of the biggest superstars of Bollywood. Here are 10 amazing and lesser-known Shah Rukh Khan facts.
10 Amazing and Lesser Known Shah Rukh Khan Facts
1) A lesser known fact about the Badshah of Bollywood is that he was originally named Abdul Rahman by his maternal grandmother. His father was not fond of this name and eventually changed it to Shah Rukh Khan, the name that is recognised by households all over India, and the world as well.
2) He is one of the most educated stars in Bollywood and entered the field of acting after completing a Master's degree in Mass Communication from Jamia Millia University. He pursued Mass Communication due to his love for television commercials but he never imagined he would be endorsing brands rather than creating commercials for them.
3) Although he was well educated in the field of Mass Communication, he once said he would have chosen hockey as a career option, if he hadn't been an actor. He was the captain of the hockey and football teams at school and played cricket and regional and national levels.
4) Shah Rukh Khan wasn't interested in doing films, as he had achieved success on television. However, he came to Mumbai after his mother's death and to try his luck in Bollywood. He struggled in the city and slept on the footpath because he did not have the money to afford accommodation. Despite this, he auditioned for several prospects and signed five movies the very next day out of which Deewana released first and became his debut film.
5) King Khan once sold tickets for his own film Kabhi Haan Kabhi Na from the booking window of a Mumbai theatre on the first day of its release. He was just paid Rs. 25,000 for that film.
6) Shah Rukh Khan is undoubtedly one of the richest celebrities in the world today, with a net worth of more than 600 million USD. It is little known that his first salary was approximately 1 USD that he earned at a Pankaj Udhas concert in Delhi in the 1980's. He used that money to see Taj Mahal in Agra.
7) Shah Rukh's debut film was supposed to be Dil Aashna Hai or Ahamaq but both were delayed and the 1992 musical romantic action film Deewana introduced us to this newcomer in Bollywood, and who has revolutionized the industry since then.
8) Shah Rukh Khan also ran a restaurant in Darya Ganj in Delhi for a while during his struggling days.
9) Shah Rukh's father died when he was fifteen years old. It was only through his father that Shah Rukh was introduced to theatre artists and developed an interest in acting. His father tried a lot of different businesses and failed miserably. One of these businesses was running a mess at the National School of Drama in Delhi. That is how Shah Rukh met different theatre artists.
Recommended Read: 7 Bollywood Beauties of Who Dated Salman
10) In the early days of his Bollywood career, Shah Rukh Khan became a superstar with hit films like Baazigar, Darr and Anjaam. He established himself as an anti hero figure at the time, contrary to the trending romance genre. It was only after Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge, he got the title King of Romance in modern Bollywood cinema.